A Tribute to Royal McNeese


Today's posting is a special one. It pays tribute to McNeese Motorcycles in Britt, Iowa. Royal McNeese was a Harley-Davidson Dealer when my father(Noot Sr.) first started working on his '62 CH. Noot and Carter would go over to Britt to see Royal. When dad had B&N Cycle, they went and traded Royal a truckload of parts for cash and more parts in return. I bought an original, new, still in the package, trip return cable for my speedo from Royal in about 1990 (see it on my speedo above). I still have the package with Royal's hand written price on it. In his final years, we went to buy some parts - we also wanted a price on all the Sportster inventory. Royal still had his "Grey Ghost", Indian Chief, KHK, Panhead, 80" Flathead and a 1971 Sportster(pink) in the window. A JD was parked in the back(Royal said that was the best bike Harley ever made). A Schwinn Cycle-Truck sat next to the wall with "McNeese Cycle" on the frame. Orange & black boxes everywhere. Fuel tanks of all shapes surrounded the walls. It was awesome. When the Harley big wigs came around with marketing plans and big ideas . . . Royal said "Nope" and closed her up for awhile. He later reopened with a plethra of "New Old Stock." Royal passed away a few years back, however his legend will live on and on. I stopped by on my way back from Sturgis last year. You can see the history, maybe hear the bikes - and definitely feel the aura of McNeese.

5 comments:

lit joe Las Vegas said...

Its cool that their some of us that remenber the ones before us and give tribute to them. If we are lucky someone may remenber us. Your parts are in the mail today.

Bad Betsy said...

I remember going over with Pop to pick up some parts from him at his house. In the driveway, a brand new Dodge mini van with all the bells & whistles (leather, CD player, 4 wheel disk brakes). It started to rain & he yelled to his wife "better put the buggy in the shed". He was a character.

Mish said...

He's a legend. The closest I ever got to meeting him was talking to him on the phone. He was a true Gentleman.

Unknown said...

Royal was a great man I bought two trike rear ends from him he had stored in his basement was lucky enough to find them they were even scarce back then he showed me around Britt took me too a couple of buildings he had full of parts I had a great time with him and bought some great original parts from him a leagand inIowa mmay he rest in peace

Unknown said...

Royal was a great man I bought two trike rear ends from him he had stored in his basement was lucky enough to find them they were even scarce back then he showed me around Britt took me too a couple of buildings he had full of parts I had a great time with him and bought some great original parts from him a leagand inIowa mmay he rest in peace