Boondocks Truck Stop

This truck stop has great pie.  Always has - always will.  This Strawberry Rhubarb was so damn delicious with it's sugary crust.  I sat on the hood of the Dodge and savored every bite.  If you can picture this place (see photo above) - it's old.  Boondocks was "the stop" for travelers in the 1960s.  Dad gassed up his new Biscayne, mom used the restroom and powdered up, the kids got a toy.  The smell of fried chicken with mashed potatoes - or How about a hot beef sandwich ?  Truckers, travelers . . . and a lonely soul on a motorbike with a big pack on the back.  Boondocks was the oasis at Hwy 20 and I-35 freeway.  Today - it's still open.  Easily passed by high mpg vehicles.  A new truck stop, cleaner and more modern is on the opposite side of the freeway - but, it will never see my business - as long as Boondocks has the Come On In - We're OPEN ! 

3 comments:

WhitelinePsycho said...

Always thought 'Boondocks' was a generic pisstake name like 'Pigs Knuckle' . . . thank you teacher.

suprglyde said...

Every time I'd stop there I bought a hat ,"WHERE THE HELL IS BOONDOCKS"

sharperdill said...

If I remember right all the booths are still in the same place they were 25 years ago, and they still have the plug-ins where the phones were in each booth. Closest thing to walking into the past when you walk in. One of the best places on I35.