Terry Noth(RIP) Ironhead Sportster Legend





I heard Terry passed away.  What sad news.  He was a walking encyclopedia of Harley-Davidson Model K, KH, KHK, KR, XL, XLH, XLCH, XLR. . . . he knew it.  It was great for a guy like me to know him and pick his brain about all things Sportster.  We are both addicted to one of the greatest engines ever made for a motorcycle.  Terry had his own style - I called it "Noth Style" . . . Early Ironhead 900, Low, Stroker, maybe struts, thin, drag bars, staggered duals, cut down, fast, slick  . . . and cool.  Terry knew I was a Sportster nut - so he'd give me little things, books, small parts, advice . . . and many stories.  Conversations overheard from innocent bystanders might include words, names and figures like Trock, Payne, Dytch, Reiman, 3 13/16, 4 5/8, 1 9/32, Branch, GBL . . . people would stare at us . . . what the hell?  I didn't see him at Davenport this year.  I'd usually see his long white hair and beard - moving slowly, but still filled with enthusiasm to talk tech about ironhead Sportsters.  I should have called him to see where he was at.  I do have his new phone number you know . . . I should just call and leave a voice-mail.  Hey, Terry - "When you build GOD's stroker motor, 4 5/8 stroke with 3" bore will be plenty fast for him."  We'll all miss you.
Respectfully,
-Noot's Kid (Rick)

2 comments:

Lelia Gallo/Jamil Gallo said...

That was a beautiful tribute.

Help said...

Bummer buddy, sorry man...