5 Bolts, Pull the Axle - The wheel is off . . .

 . . . that's fast.  Probably one of Harley's best design features.  The chain & brake drum stay on, and you hardly get greasy.  Like changin' the wheel on your car.  The problem is getting the bike in the air.  I supposed I could rig up a rear-center-stand, but it might look weird?
I break these things down with irons . . . so I can experience another aspect of motorcycling (other than just pushing a button, or writing a check, or swiping a card).
The 18" Kelsey Hays Steel Sportster rim has served me well on this rigid.  They take more abuse on rough roads and stay true.  I run 25-32 lbs of pressure and just take the hits.  Lower pressures can create too much heat on a hot day. 
I knocked off the "spoke type" lead wheel weights (which I prefer over stick-ons).  I checked all the spokes and trued it up a touch . . . ready for computer spin balancing.  My tube is a 1940s army issue heavy-duty tube for a Harley WLA.  It's thick rubber, still pliable, nothing wrong with it.  When you blow it up by itself, it's just so true - no bulges, not sucked in spots (you know what I mean?) I really hate to swap it for a Taiwan tube.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I run the late-model, size large, juice rear brake on this rigid.  Original Bendix backing plate, and I try to keep it "all Harley" the best I can.  It works very well - and you need some stopping power when it's your only brake.  Keep it clean.  Keep it serviced.  Frame pinstripes cost extra.

1 comment:

pat said...

Good Work Rick. Way to stay on top of things!