Thanks Tom Petty for all the great music . . .

My life wouldn't be near as cool or full, if there'd been no Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.  When I watch my DVD on the Sound City Recording Studio - and I run it through the Bose speakers, and the part where Tom Petty is interviewed, and the band jams the song over and over to get it right, you see how hard they worked.  I remember the video for "You Got Lucky" on MTV when the band is out in the desert - in some spaceship deal, a motorcycle sidecar pulls up . . . Petty hits the play button on a dusty boom box to start the music.  It introduced me to a band with music I liked, but didn't really know who the players were?  Lots of musicians looked up to Petty and the way he wrote and played rock, the unique way he could sing it.  Tom Petty flew under the radar - no big interviews, no big productions - just the best blues rock with some pop . . . with lyrics and melodies to sing in your head on and on and on . . .  and when Refugee, Breakdown, I Need To Know or Runnin' Down A Dream comes on the radio - Crank It ! 

No comments: