K and WL Cylinder Work

I got my cylinder back from Chad after he tig'd on my new cooling fin.  Nice job !  Now I have a decent set of K cylinders, ready to be bored and fitted to +.010 pop-up pistons.  I have some new cast iron guides, new nitrite valves and a nice set of '52-'53 valve covers.  These will eventually replace the worn out set on my black, "Street K" . . .
Above:  These K cylinders have a bit of core-shift here and there . . . so I'll true up these exhaust ports and make them even all the way around.  I also use a carbide burr to relieve any steps, rat tails and bumps inside each port.  I visualize which way the air is flowing, and give it a smooth path to (or away from) each valve, without changing the port shape. 
Above:  I'm also working on John Hove's WL cylinders.  I'll probably go in and smooth out these ports too - maybe make it run a bit more efficiently?  I'll grind the valves and seats, and check out his spring travel for his cams.  These are aftermarket, and not bolt-on by any means.  I'll check the piston clearance, ring gap and fitment.  9 times out of 10 they're too tight and need honed.
The cylinders are kinda rusty anyway . . . It's good that aftermarket parts are still available (better than no parts) but the quality isn't always up to par.  I'll make 'em a nice set, set up to specs - good for many miles of enjoyable riding.  Motorcycling is the best sport of all !

No comments: