Bubble Bags for Rigid Frames

This style of saddlebag was first offered in 1954.  I believe they were designed by William Harley, and he patented his design?  I bought the bags(without lids) for $75/pair since they had holes, and were all beat to shit.  Using sheet metal, old sign material, license plate metal, pop rivets and Gorilla tape . . . they are now solid.  I sealed the seams with gasket maker - then lined the bags with speaker cabinet carpet(when I was in a rock band for 3 months) and 3M spray fixative..  They look crusty from the outside, but nice and soft on the inside.  Ready for your leather jacket, clothes, camera or a bag of chips and cookies.
PS. Last night I sprayed 'em with the garden hose all over to see if they'd leak - Nope !  But we all know a garden hose ain't no match for Mother Nature....
Luggage Carriers for Cycles
Filed:  Aug. 5, 1953

No comments: