Panheads, Mississippi River and Smoke

Sunny day on Saturday . . . after a few adjustments from my 300+ mile Davenport Run, (like fixin'the fuel shut-off rod)
. . . it was time for a river run to the Mississippi. 
Let's Go !
My dad rode along on his 1965 FLH. 
Took our first stop in Clermont, Iowa.  All is workin' great at this point . . .
Waitin' on road construction, flagman, pilot car, all that jazz . . .
Hey ol' man.... You still back there???  The Great River Road.
My speedometer is about 12mph slow due to my 25T trans gear.
Not long after this photo . . . I'm thinkin' to myself how great my bike is running, and what a beautiful day it is . . . then smoke started rolling from under my dash, and around my battery.  Holy shit !  I killed the motor, coasted to the side and found a shorted wire.  I wired BAT to the wrong side of the circuit breaker, it got pinched, and shorted.  We robbed the horn wire off his bike, ran it direct from battery to coil, and I made it back with a total-loss electrical system - about 80 miles.  Can't kill a panhead I guess?  Got it fixed Sunday.  Ready to go again !  Now where ?

No comments: