I haven't changed much...



I started out at a young age with art and drawing.  Then came sports, bicycles, skateboards, mechanics along with all that.  Always tools and wrenches and saws and drills and spray paint.  It hasn't changed much.  I was a lucky early bloomer with speed and ability on things with wheels or motors.  A "Ricky-Can't Ride It" declaration on any of my friend's go-carts or mini bikes 'cause they'd get broke or blown up.  My dad would take me to races, and I'd beat all the nationally ranked kids with fancy equipment and beautifully painted racers.  Our stuff was old, held together with duct tape, gorilla hair and pop rivets - but meticulously tuned and tested ! I had focus and preparation.  

Then it all changed.  Beer, dope, hard stuff, party party party.  I have great stories, but I lost my edge and my speed.  I tried again, but got spooked real easy. It never really came back.  I have "flashes of brilliance" some guy called it (kinda fit I thought) that knew me before...but I'm old and steady now. 

But all is not lost.  Don't let it get you down.  Take a break and start over later.  It's hard for me to focus, but I'm working on it everyday.  I try to fit as much into everyday as possible.  Up at 4:45am, walk to fitness center(I hate the word gym).  I do different stuff.  Then I eat, text, clean parts, walk more, do bike stuff, coffee with "morning people" at a possible 4 different places...then to work, then more bike stuff, more honing, boring, tools, paint...all dirty endeavors.  Back home - more texting, posting, planning for the next day to do it all over again.  Maybe watch a Tonite Show with Johnny Carson rerun....


Photos Above: 1952 Harley K Engine Cases / Almost 5 foot BMX Bunny Hop !

No comments: