Shoppin' at the Small Shops

The small, custom shops are becoming a dying breed again. I went to stop by two different shops on the way to the swap - and they were both closed. Closed forever. They both sold parts and did repair work. The poor economy will be hard on the little guy, unless they have a good following. You can buy so much online, ebay, mail order - even some manufacturers now sell direct to the public. High insurance costs, liability, taxes, rent, payroll . . . it's a wonder the little guy can stay in business? I've always try to support the small shops. Prices are usually more negotiable. You can dig through their used parts. Plus, many have cool t-shirts (so you don't have the same Harley dealer shirts everyone and their dog has . . .) Maybe I'll see you at the Shovel Shed, Hawg Shed, Wheels Unlimited or Jay Jay's?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

will iam with you hot rod small guy is better girls say bigger is better but what do they know t shirts the art work the girls did i like just need to get them to give me the 3o per cent that she said she was when we first talked joe vegas

Mish said...

I guess I can say, you never know what you have untill its gone. That pic its worth a thousand words and memories. I never new ya'all till I returned from Desert Storm recall in '90.... Thats when my schoolin' began, and the Noots were the teachers. I cant begin to tell you how many times, Bob fixed my bike for me over the phone. When all the Dealership pricks would say, "You'll have to bring it in"!, Noot would say,"Hey, try this..." If I had money to spend on my bike, it was spent at Noots Custom Cycles. Maybe with this economy, more folks will start riding, and there will again be a nitch for the small privatly owned partner shops.
Thanks again Bob and Rick for all your help.
Kelly