I don't run oil filters.
I just change my oil every 2500 miles (or after a long trip).
1. Run your engine to make sure all your oil is pumped back
to the tank.
2. Then drain it. You can disconnect the return to tank
( I take it off the oil cooler because it's convenient )
3. Install drain plug - add 1/2 quart of fresh oil to tank.
( I use some thinner weight oil )
4. Start engine and pump out remaining old oil
until it pumps clear.
5. Refill tank with oil of your choice . . .
6. I add a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil
NOTE: My neighbor gave me about 10 quarts of oil when he moved.
The price was $1.17 a quart when he bought it !
I use it for this purpose . . .
I run H-D 50wt and 60wt in all my engines without a failure.