Interests

This type of work (and restoration) obviously is of interest to me - but, I don't do these operations myself.  I let the experts do it.  Most require special equipment and fixtures. 
Cam Regrinding:
We leave that to the Leineweber's.  I see Jim is trying to keep the business in-the-family and continue the traditions of quality products - and performance !
___________________________
Head Surfacing:
The guy I have do this for me uses a Bridgeport Mill with the head indicated in on the table, cylinder head facing up.  This other method (above on a lathe) works too, but may requires more fixtures, and that weight spinning around might be a bit more dangerous !
_________________________________
Indicating and Measuring:

Here's a photo (from Lee Wickstrom) indicating in a cam bushing(or needle bearing) hole for boring.  When this area gets cracked (common on early bushing motors) and welded - it tends to warp.  It's very subtle - not much.  But when you go to install your cam and it binds, and you've measured your pinion gear mesh . . . and all your figures seem correct - you'll be scratching your head.  WTF?  Reaming or matching to your gear cover bushing will be in order.  Nothing worse than a binding cam.


No comments: