The Black Sportster

Now I'm running those Alto Red clutch fibers (wet).  I soaked them overnight, then lightly wiped 'em off.  I left the clutch basket cover off.  The clutch in this thing has always been touchy as hell.  Tiny adjustments make big differences - dragging or slipping in high under acceleration.  Better hit neutral before you stop type-o-deal.  Just a little draggy.  As the clutch warms up - there goes any free play you had at the lever - not good.  After a lot of testing, I can live with it now.  I made a "clutch cable luber" from a piece of rubber hose - and ran everything from Motion Pro Cable Lube, DuPont Chain Lube, a shot of Lincoln Spray Grease - and finally some lube from a 30 year old can of genuine Harley-Davidson chain lube . . . which works perfect since it dribbles out (with no pressure in the can shooting back at you from the straw).  Now it works a bit better.  Wiley has a genuine H-D clutch cable for me, and I'm getting it soon - gotta get this bike working for The Meltdown Drag Run.
Ultra dark shield on the Simpson Street Bandit is so I can ride across town and not have to wave at everybody . . . small town life.  They know who I am anyway.

4 comments:

Mct496 said...

I tgought you run youe early clutchs dry?

Noot said...

I do mostly, but this clutch basket just keeps leakin', so I'll try this wet set-up and let everyone know what it takes to make this work. I've heard good reviews on the Barnett(green) Kevlar plates, but they were $90 bucks....and I had these Alto Reds. The dry worked perfect for the first 3 days - then slipping again.

j- said...

Had the same problem with my '63 CH. No matter what I did, that damn clutch dragged.

lucky23design said...

Whoops, accidentally signed in with my wife's account! Anyway, I ended up using a Barnett clutch pack and replaced the bearing for the '63 and that helped a little. And I mean a little(: