TECH: Return Oil Passage Leak


You ever hear of a panhead leaking between the fins (on the 3rd fin near the exhaust ports - directly on the return oil passage) ??  

I roughed up the area after cleaning and scrubbing, and using a propane torch to get all the oil out.  Then, I applied JB Weld with a Q-Tip up between the cooling fins - let it dry and coated with a couple shots of H-D Silver Bead Blast paint.  Previously, I noticed it was leaking a bit, so when I had the heads off - I ran some red glyptal down the passages to coat the inside oil return passages - it worked on the front head, not the rear.  Must be a casting flaw?
I kept gettin' drips of oil on my trans ratchet, and running down the fins in the back.  What the hell?  I'd dry it all off, go for a ride, and discovered it was seeping out between the fins.  Hope it stops the seeping.  My goal is to have a well ridden panhead, with a clean engine - and look like I only get the thing out a couple times a year. (smiley face here)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've had some late 60's shovelheads that just seem to weep through the castings. Drive a guy nuts!!

Noot said...

Some guys didn't believe me - but then I started searching around - and others with the same problem. I guess a fairly common issue??

Ape Hanger Days said...

I have the same problem on my 53 Pan front head more than the rear just below the exhaust port. I had heard about and read about it witnessed first hand after a rebuild with a fresh clean motor.