TECH: Pushrod Modifications

LEFT: Stock H-D Panhead
CENTER: Aftermarket Colony
RIGHT: Aftermarket Colony (modified end)
__________________
I got this weird sound on my '54 panhead engine.  It's coming from the pushrod/rocker arm area, under the pan covers.  It's not spring collars hitting, loose rocker arm bores or springs rubbing together.  However, I did make a comparison with the fitment of the stock pushrod end ball fitment in the rocker arm versus my aftermarket pushrod ball end. 


The aftermarket makes a little "click" sound . . . and that's when it's not even under pressure.  The aftermarket ball doesn't have that flat on top,(or it's really small) and it kinda catches on the oil hole area in the center of that ball rocker socket.

I belt sanded a flat on it - now it doesn't do it... Maybe that was it???  The oem H-D pushrod didn't do it - now the aftermarket aluminum doesn't either.  Hope that was it - or at least I did something - Gotta really check this shit....  These aftermarket aluminum pushrods are so big in diameter, they want to hit on the inside of your tubes, etc.  I like the narrower aluminum ones...but nothing is as good as the oem H-D parts.

No comments: