'54FL

Got this panhead running decent now.  I built a set of early heads (w/o-ring intake adapters).  Runnin' 1/8" oversize nitrite valves with cast iron guides.  Andrews springs set up to .550 travel and 1.340 installed height.  Andrews #1 low compression cam.  I like the Andrews #1 in my stock chopper 74", but in this 4 1/2" stroker 84"... with increased compression - I'm getting some pinging at low speeds, and in high gear when tryin' to get with it . . . I set up the heads for an Andrews B or Leineweber L3S - so changes can be made without more valve spring set-up.


How do you like this cockpit - all business !
I built this bike for vintage touring - trying to use all H-D parts, ie: frame, engine, tanks, sheet metal, etc.  Even if it had a dent, I still used it.  Original H-D USA over ___________. (well you know) I had a couple sets of aftermarket tanks, and they just didn't fit right - so I picked up these original 1954 tanks, dash plate and dash, all bought separately - and everything bolted right on - no shims and plenty of time left for an ice cold High Life !

2 comments:

drsprocket said...

Noot, I run those early Shovel coils on both my '40 EL (12 V)and '67 FLH but with a cover. Reason being that contact with your inner thigh and that top positive wire post can give a rider quite a tingle. Don't ask me how I would know that. It's great to have your posts back.

Noot said...

I've got that shock treatment you're talkin' about. Suppose that's why H-D put that cover on...