My Favorite Motorcycle

This ol' 52K is one of my favorite motorcycles I've ever had . . . but they sure are weird.  I mean what super genius came up with angled valves for better flow, and instead of angling the tappets - lets just angle the cam lobes - ground at 3 degree angle all the way around on exhaust and 1.5 degrees on the intakes???  What the heck?
I did have an old timer tell me that Sportster P grind cams work good in Ks and KHs . .  and they ran 'em all the time for racing.  I asked, "What about the cam follower rollers riding on straight lobed cams?  The wheels would just ride on one edge?  He said is did wear 'em out, but had less friction, like riding on a knife edge . . . and just for 20 laps around the track.  I've never tried it . . .
 . . . and  '52-'53 crank pins/right flywheels press in with a key to help lock it - and line up the oil hole. Save money on nuts, locks, and screws?  This actually ain't a bad system.  It came back with the Twin Cams.

No comments: